As an avid runner and the token vegetarian of the Simple Mills team, I’m always looking for great sources of plant-based protein to add to my diet. Here some of my favorites!
- Peas – 1 cup provides about 8 grams of protein. Peas are a great addition to a rice or pasta dish!
- Quinoa – Quinoa is a grain that has become very popular because for its combination of high protein & complete amino acids. 1 cup of quinoa has 24 grams of protein. Quinoa is incredibly versatile – you can eat it alone, or add it to your favorite salad or breakfast dish! Quinoa is becoming so popular that you can even find it in the snack aisle. Make sure to check out I heart Keenwah’s line of quinoa clusters & puffs!
- Almond Butter – My favorite! Almond Butter has the same great consistency as peanut butter but acts as a great substitute for those trying to remove the peanuts from their diet Almond Butter tastes great on bread or crackers, or serves as a perfect dip for apples or pretzles! One serving of almond butter provides around 5 grams of protein.
- Chickpeas – Make your own hummus by blending chick peas in a food processor, add them to your salad, or bake them for a crispy snack! 1 cup of chickpeas adds around 15 grams of protein to your meal!
- Edamame – While some soy products are sometimes critiqued for their processing requirements, edamame is soy in its purest form. Steamed edamame sprinkled with salt is a perfect snack! 1 cup provides around 16 grams of protein.
- Hemp – Add hemp seeds to your cereal, salad, or smoothie! 3 tablespoons adds around 10 grams of protein!
- Pumpkin & sunflower seeds – a great source of protein & healthy fats and a perfect addition to your salad, pasta, or vegetable dish! 1 cup can contain up to 12 grams.