Just in case you haven't noticed, it's PUMPKIN SEASON! Sure, you can reap the benefits of our pumpkin muffin mix year round, but with the abundance of pumpkin-this and pumpkin-that during the fall, we often forget about all of the great things that these orange squash are doing for us!
Here are some of our favorite benefits of pumpkin:
- High amounts of beta carotene (what lends pumpkins their rich orange color) are converted into Vitamin A in your body
- A better-than-bananas post work out food, pumpkins contain more healthy calories, antioxidants and potassium, but less carbs and sugars, than their fruity yellow counterpart
- One study done by the Journal of Medicinal Food found that out of traditional corn, beans and pumpkin, pumpkin (thanks to their high levels of phytochemicals) has the best potential to prevent/reduce hyperglycemia and hypertension
- Another study found that the phytochemicals in winter squash (along with other fruits and vegetables) protect the cells in your body from damage that can cause cancer
And what about pumpkin seeds?! You guessed it, tons of benefits found in these little guys as well:
- Pumpkin seeds are high in magnesium, which is often overlooked, but a super important mineral! Our bodies use magnesium to maintain muscles and nerves, boost immunity, regulate blood sugar and blood pressure, and use energy efficiently
- Zinc is another mineral that is abundant in pumpkin seeds - zinc provides support to your immune system to fight off infection, as well as inflammation
- Great source of protein - pumpkin seeds contain up to 9g of protein per serving!
- High in Omega-3 fatty acids...these are the good kind, people! Our bodies can't make this kind of fat on it's own, but it is essential for brain function and may reduce the risk of heart disease
All this pumpkin talk is making us hungry! Check out some of our favorite recipes featuring our pumpkin muffin mix.