Apple Pancetta Stuffing
Photo Credit: Murielle Banackissa
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time (including baking of the bread): 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 6-8 portions
For the Bread:
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 box Simple Mills Artisan Bread
For the Stuffing:
1/3 cup pancetta, diced
1 tbsp grass fed organic butter
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1/4 tsp salt
1 heaping cup gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 3/4 cup chicken stock
Pepper, to taste
2 beaten eggs
4 tbsp of fresh herbs of choice (e.g.: thyme, sage, oregano, rosemary)
For the Garnish:
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare bread according to instructions on the package. Pour into a greased pan. Cook for one hour or until edges start to come off the pan. Let cool for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cut into cubes. Transfer the cubes to a baking sheet and return to the oven for 10 minutes to draw out all the moisture. Let cool completely.
- Lightly grease 8"x8" glass baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat a large a medium skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook for 5 minutes until the fat has rendered and the pancetta has browned. Transfer pancetta to a large bowl and let cool.
- Add butter to the same pan and melt. Add onion, celery and salt. Sauté on medium heat until onions are translucent and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add apples and cook for another 3 minutes. Pour chicken stock, stir and cook for 3 minutes until heated. Season with pepper. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- To the bowl with pancetta, add eggs and fresh herbs. Whisk to combine. Add bread cubes and vegetable and apple mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour stuffing mixture into the prepared pan. Garnish with walnuts and bake for 35 minutes. Stuffing should look browned and crispy on top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley when serving.