Black Forest Popsicles
Cook time: 10
Total time (including time to freeze): 6 hours
Yields: 6 popsicles
1 cup Simple Mills Chocolate Cake Mix
2 Tablespoons palm shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons water
Chocolate Cherry Popsicle:
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 cup pitted fresh cherries or frozen
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
Chocolate Shell and Toppings:
¼ cup coconut oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the cake mix and palm shortening to a bowl and use a fork to mix and create a coarse meal. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is combined.
- Place the crust on the parchment paper and spread the dough about ½ inch thick. Bake for 10 minutes and then cool to room temperature. Use your hands to crumble the cake in to small pieces,
- Add all the popsicle ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Fill the popsicle mold halfway and then top with about 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate cake. Fill with more batter until you are about ¾ full and add more chocolate cake crumbles
- Use a knife or toothpick to mix the cake crumbles in to the batter some. Add the popsicle sticks and let freeze for 4-6 hours.
- When popsicles are frozen melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan and add the cocoa powder and maple syrup and whisk to combine. Let cool to room temperature.
- Pour the chocolate shell in a small cup and then dip the popsicle in the chocolate shell and then quickly top with the shredded coconut. Eat immediately or store in the freezer.
Notes: Depending on the size of the popsicle mold you may have some additional popsicle batter or pie crust.