Cake and Fruit Kebabs
3 large eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
2-4 bananas, chopped in 1” slices
1 pint blueberries, rinsed and dried
(cut the larger berries in half)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Lightly grease an 8x11” baking pan and set aside
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and oil, then continue beating while slowly adding the water until completely incorporated
4. Add the cake mix and stir vigorously until all of the dry is incorporated into the wet and no clumps remain
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean
6. Allow the cake to cool completely, then tightly cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least a few hours, and ideally overnight
7. Cut the frozen cake into 1” squares (it does not need to be exact), and thread one onto your first skewer. Follow the cake bite with a hulled strawberry, another piece of cake, two blueberries, another piece of cake, and a slice of banana. If you choose, you can finish with an additional piece of cake
8. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container until it is time to serve
1. This is a great party dish because you can make the cake up to a week in advance and store it, well sealed with plastic wrap, in the freezer until it is time to assemble the kebabs.
2. If you want to serve these with a dipping sauce, an easy and delicious option is dairy-free whipped cream.
You can find more amazing recipes by Nora on her blog, A Clean Bake.