Double Chocolate Protein Biscotti/Mandelbrot
2 large eggs
3 Tablespoons of coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 box Simple Mills chocolate cake and muffin mix
2 scoops / ½ cup Ancient Nutrition chocolate flavor organic bone broth protein powder
Dark chocolate chips or bar, for drizzle (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cover a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, then mix in the oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the mix and protein powder, and mix until a thick dough forms. There should not be any remaining clumps of powder.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a log shape.
- Transfer the dough log to the prepared baking sheet.
- Press down on the log to flatten slightly. The dough will spread as it bakes, so make the width of the log a little narrower than you’d like the cookies to be (or you’ll have long cookies – nothing wrong with that!)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm and cracked on top.
- Remove from the oven, but leave it preheated to 350°.
- Cool the log 10 minutes, then slice widthwise into a biscotti shape.
- Place the cookies back on the baking sheet, about 1” apart.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes (less for soft cookies, more for crispier cookies).
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before drizzling with melted dark chocolate chips.
- Let the chocolate solidify before serving.
Notes: To keep these cookies crispy, store them in the refrigerator, uncovered. After a day or two they will start to dry out too much, so if you need to store them longer, keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will soften slightly, but are still delicious!