Grain-Free Green Bean Casserole
Photo Credit: Murielle Banackissa
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
2 tsp olive oil, divided
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste
1 cup Simple Mills Farmhouse Cheddar Almond Flour Crackers
6 cups green beans (fresh or frozen)
1 cup + 4 tbsp mushroom broth, divided
Pepper, to taste
2 cups sliced mushrooms (white or cremini)
1 minced clove of garlic
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 tbsp tapioca starch
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp thyme
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over low heat. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, onion and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir. Cover the pan and cook onions until caramelized, about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While the onions are caramelizing, ground the crackers and preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Boil water in a large pot. Once boiling, add the green beans and cook for 5 minutes if fresh and 3 minutes if frozen. Drain and run under cold water. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Once the onions are caramelized, deglaze with 2 tablespoon of mushroom broth. Transfer to a bowl and season with pepper. Set aside.
- To the skillet where the onions were cooking previously, add remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil, mushrooms and garlic. Cook over medium-low heat until the mushrooms are soft (about 5 minutes). Add the caramelized onions, 1 cup of mushroom broth and Greek yogurt. Stir.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of mushroom broth with tapioca starch until fully dissolved. Add this mixture to the sauce. Let thicken for 1 min.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and thyme.
- Pour over the green beans. Cover with ground crackers. Bake for 20 minutes.