Mason Jar Salads with Grain Free Croutons
Prep time: 10 minutes (croutons) + 20 minutes (salads)
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4-5 cups croutons (about enough for 5-6 salads)
For the croutons:
2 large eggs
¼ cup olive oil
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons water
1 box Simple Mills bread mix
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (optional)
Your favorite dressing
Sturdy, water-based veggies, like cucumbers, carrots, and celery, cut into bite-sized pieces.
Organic or grass-fed cheese of choice (we used feta)
Protein of choice, such as cubed chicken, sliced pork, or chickpeas.
Romaine lettuce (or your favorite salad green), washed, dried, and chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 7x11” baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the oil, vinegar, and water and stir until combined.
- Stir in the Simple Mills mix, and the poultry seasoning (if using).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven (don’t turn off the oven) and let the bread cool until you can comfortably touch it.
- Turn the bread out of the pan onto a cutting board. Slice into crouton-sized cubes.
- Cover a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment or a nonstick pad. Spread the bread cubes on the baking sheet.
- Bake for another 20 minutes at 350°F until crisp.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before adding to the salads.
- When you’re ready to assemble the salads: add about 2 Tablespoons dressing to the bottom of the jar. Top with (in this order) the chopped veggies, cheese, protein, avocado, greens, and a generous handful of grain free croutons. Tightly secure the lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days until ready to eat.
Note: The croutons will soften slightly if stored with the salad for more than a few hours. If you’d like them to stay crisp, store them in a separate container with the top cracked slightly.