Red, White and Blue Trifles
As easy to make as they are to eat, these individual red, white and blue trifles are deceptively wholesome and completely delicious! They’re simply perfect for your next summer BBQ.
3 large eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup water
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix
Blueberries and/or blackberries, rinsed and dried
Strawberries (sliced) and/or raspberries, rinsed and dried
Whipped cream or whipped coconut cream
Mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease or spray an 8” square cake pan and set aside.
2. Prep the cake batter according to the instructions on the back of the box.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
4. Let the cake cool completely, then cut it into thin strips, then cut the strips into small (1/2” – 1”) cubes.
5. Place a small handful of cake cubes at the bottom of a glass, then add a layer of strawberries or raspberries, a layer of whipped cream, a layer of blueberries or blackberries, then repeat! Garnish with fresh mint leaves, if desired, and serve immediately or within a couple hours of assembling.
Note: If you prefer, you can make one large trifle, rather than individual ones.
Yield: Makes 6-8 truffles, but you can make them smaller to stretch the recipe a little.