Simple Bean-Free Chili with Almond Flour Crackers
For the Chili:
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
1 medium white or sweet onion, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef or turkey
2 cups water
28 ounces crushed tomatoes (1 large can)
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces (about 2-3 cups)
1 ½ cups frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon minced or granulated garlic
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
Optional: ½ jalapeno, seeds and stems removed, minced
Ingredients for garnish:
Simple Mills sea salt almond flour crackers
Shredded grass fed cheese
Sliced green onion
Sliced jalapeno (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven, or other heavy-bottom pot, heat the oil. Add the onions, and turn the heat to medium-low. Cook slowly until translucent.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high, and add the meat. Use a spoon to break up the meat in to bite-sized chunks as it begins to cook.
- When the meat has begun to brown, add the water, tomatoes, potatoes, and spinach. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the lime, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and jalapeno.
- Cover and bring to a low boil. Cook until the meat is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with whole or broken up crackers, cheese, onion, and jalapeno before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.