Simple Chicken Kebab Flatbread
Prep time: 30 minutes - Cook time: 15 minutes - Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 kebabs, 4 flatbreads
For the flatbread:
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 box Simple Mills bread mix
For the chicken:
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- Pinch salt
For the marinated onions:
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- ½ - 1 tsp. sumac (to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
For the skewers:
- Grape tomatoes
- Green bell pepper, seeds and stem discarded and chopped
- Red or white onion, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For finishing & assembly:
- Lettuce or other greens
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- Fresh lemon slices
- Fresh dill, chopped
- Fresh mint, chopped
Make the flatbread:
- Preheat the oven to 350 and cover a cookie sheet with a nonstick silicone pad or a sheet of parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the oil and vinegar and mix to combine.
- Stir in the bread mix.
- Let sit 10 minutes to thicken.
- Divide the dough into four portions. Gather each portion into a ball and place on the prepared cookie sheet (evenly spaced). Use the palm of your hand and your fingertips to flatten each ball into a disc (about ½” thick).
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through but still slightly soft. They will not be very golden yet.
Make the chicken:
- Cut the chicken into large chunks and place in a clean gallon-size zip top bag. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, make the marinade by combining the remaining chicken ingredients and whisk until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Add the marinade to the chicken in the bag (see note). Seal the bag and massage to make sure all of the chicken is well coated with the marinade. Place the chicken in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Make the marinated onions:
- Combine all of the ingredients except the onion in a bowl or jar. Stir to combine.
- Add the onions and stir to make sure they are full immersed in the marinade.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes, and up to 48 hours.
Cook the skewers and assemble:
- Brush or gently toss the tomatoes, pepper pieces, and onion chunks with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Alternate the marinated chicken, tomatoes, pepper pieces and onion chunks on a bamboo skewer.
- Grill until the chicken is cooked through. If you don’t have a grill, you can bake the skewers at 350° for 10-20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken and vegetables from the skewer and place on a flatbread. Top with lettuce, cucumber and marinated olives, then finish with a sprinkle of fresh herbs. Garnish with lemon and serve.