Simple Swedish Meatballs
Photo Credit: Murielle Banackissa
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 15 meatballs
For the Meatballs:
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 celery stalk, very finely diced
1/2 cup ground Simple Mills Fine Ground Sea Salt Almond Flour Crackers
1/4 cup parsley, chopped + more for serving
1 pound ground beef
1/2 tsp all spice
Salt and pepper to taste
1/8 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
For the Gravy:
2 cups beef stock, divided
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp cream cheese
1 tbsp tapioca starch
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the meatballs: In a large deep sauté pan, heat olive oil and add onions. Sauté on medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Decrease heat to low. Add diced celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground crackers, parsley, ground beef, egg, all spice, salt, pepper and cayenne if using. Mix until combined. Add onion and celery mixture and mix once more. Set aside.
- Form 1-inch meatballs using your hands and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Make the gravy: In a blender, add beef stock, Dijon mustard and cream cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes to reduce.
- In a small bowl, add tapioca with ¼ cup of the sauce. Whisk until all lumps are eliminated. Pour into saucepan. Stir well.
- Simmer for another 5-8 minutes or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the sauce into a bowl. Season with some more salt and pepper if desired.
- Once meatballs are finished cooking, serve with gravy and garnish with fresh parsley.