Mint Matcha Cream Pie with Chocolate Cookie Crust
We're happy to report that, like most of the shockingly, unnaturally green-hued St. Patty’s Day food that you’ll find on a plate of Pinterest feed this time of year, this particular pie’s green tint is entirely natural! The color is thanks to a combination of two superfoods: avocado and matcha (green tea powder, which is shockingly green and bursting with antioxidants). Avocado is naturally green and full of healthy fat, while matcha is a wonderful natural green dye, is bursting with antioxidants, and has calming and immune-boosting properties. How’s that for a green dessert worth throwing a party for?
1. Preheat the oven to 350°
2. Lightly grease a pie pan and set aside
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter and egg white. Add the cake mix and stir vigorously until smooth and evenly combined
4. Gather the dough into a ball and let it sit for 5 minutes (it will become firmer and more workable)
5. Turn the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper, cover with another piece and roll out into a disc. Carefully transfer the disc into the prepared pie plate and use the heel of your hand to gently press the dough into the pan. Pinch the edges to finish
6. Cover with a fresh piece of parchment paper and fill the crust with pie weights or dried beans. This will prevent the crust from rising too much
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the edges start to firm up, then remove the beans or weights and parchment and bake another 10-20 minutes until the crust is firmed up throughout
8. Allow the crust to cool while you make the filling: in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “s” blade, puree the avocados and coconut milk until smooth. Add the stevia, matcha, peppermint extract and salt and process for a few minutes to combine.
9. Add the gelatin and puree until smooth.
10. Pour the filling into the baked and cooled pie crust and smooth into an even layer.
11. Transfer to the refrigerator for 2-4 hours until the crust has firmed up.
12. Serve immediately.
- You can find matcha online or in Asian Supermarkets
-You can find coconut cream online, in Asian supermarkets, or in the ethnic aisles of many supermarkets. Do not use coconut milk.
-You can get unflavored gelatin online or in most major supermarkets.
-Store leftovers, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.