Red Berry Banana Bread
Prep time: 15 min - Cook time: 60 min
Yield: one 6” cake
3 large eggs
½ cup water
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 box Simple Mills Banana Muffin and Bread Mix
1/3 cup + 2 ½ Tablespoons strawberry or raspberry jam, divided
Fresh strawberries, raspberries and cherries for topping (optional), washed and dried
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Lightly grease a 6” round cake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, water and oil. Add baking mix and combine.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer.
- Spread 1/3 cup of jam over the batter, leaving about 1” between the jam layer and the edges of the pan.
- Pour the remaining batter over the jam layer and spread into an even layer (covering the jam completely).
- Bake 50-60 minutes, until firm and slightly cracked and domed on top.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan 5-10 minutes. Then, remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled, make the glaze by warming the remaining 2 ½ Tbsp jam in the microwave or on the stove until liquid. Whisk in ½ Tbsp water until smooth.
- Immediately before serving, top the cake with your berries (use toothpicks to anchor a few in place if you find that they are tumbling off of the cake), the pour the glaze over the berries.
- Serve immediately
- Store leftovers, wrapped, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To make ahead: prepare the cake and the glaze and store, separately, for 1-2 days (tightly covered), in the refrigerator. Assemble and decorate the cake immediately before serving.